Tuesday, August 26, 2014

clinging

If you cling to your life,

     you will lose it;

but if you give it up for me,

     you will find it.

Matthew 10:39


This makes sense.

If we hold tightly to our lives & never let God have any control over them, the very kind of life we hope we find & have will never come about.

(Did that sentence make sense?)

But if we let go of the control of our lives, then God is able to fully express the life He dreamed up for us a gajillion years ago when He dreamed us up.

Sometimes that looks like the lives we thought we'd have, & sometimes we wonder.

I still sometimes have a success orientation when it comes to what a life of servanthood should look like for super Christians like me (LOL!!!)

But the bottom line here is that if I surrender my life to God to do with as He pleases & as He leads, then He does.

And often times, it doesn't turn out to look like the glittering ministry we thought it would be or maybe used to have.

Sometimes it's just being & doing what we feel Him leading us to be & do.


I woke up this morning thinking about my life.

A lot of the time, if our lives aren't glittering, exciting, glamorous, & filled with short term fulfillment or quick results, we think we're on the shelf, or that God is done with us.

And then, it was like God dropped this thought into my head, or whispered it to me in a still small voice...


"Paul, the apostle, wrote a chunk of his letters that ended up being in the New Testament while in prison."


I googled it.

He wrote Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, & Philemon while in prison.

The first 3 are short letters - 4 or 6 chapters - but they are fat with incredible truth.


And Paul mentions how the men who were guarding him & others around him were coming to believe in Jesus.


yeah...

think about that today...

I know I am...

No comments: