Wednesday, August 27, 2014

come

Then Jesus said,

     “Come to me,

        all of you who are weary

        and carry heavy burdens,

     and I will give you rest.

Take my yoke upon you.

Let me teach you,

     because I am humble and gentle at heart,

     and you will find rest for your souls.

For my yoke is easy to bear,

     and the burden I give you is light.”


(Matthew 11:28-30)



How many of us are just worn out?

     maybe with a situation in our lives?

     maybe with someone in our lives?

     or maybe with the pace of our lives?

     or perhaps the whole entirety of our lives?


How many of us are carry all kinds of stuff around inside us?

     stress?

     unresolved issues?

     baggage?

     hurts?

     abuses - inflicted, or self-inflicted?

     dysfunctions?

     scary pasts?

     scary presents?

     scary futures?


How many of us, as Thoreau said in "Walden", live "lives of quiet desperation"?



No matter what load we carry today, Jesus says 3 words...



"Come to Me..."



Absorb that... Jesus says "come to Me".

     No disclaimers,

     no "get your act together"

     no "clean your life up & then come"

 no nuthin'


Just...

...come.


And why should we come?


Jesus says He'll give us what we long for the most...



...rest.

No comments: