Monday, August 11, 2014

some stuff I read this a.m.

Proverbs 16

3
 Commit your work to the Lord,

     & then your plans will succeed.


9 We can make our plans,

     but the Lord determines our steps.


33 We may throw the dice

        but the Lord determines how they fall.



I may think I'm in charge, but I think these verses poke some major holes in that thinking for me, & you too.

********



Proverbs 16:25 There is a path before each person that seems right,

     but it ends in death.


There's a lot of thinking that seems to be built primarily on our perceptions - iow, "our own truth".

Truth that goes completely against what is plainly spoken about in the Bible.

Unfortunately, more & more the Bible isn't considered the basis of our thinking, the moral center for our lives.

Once we decide that the Bible isn't our compass, we descend down a slippery slope to all kinds of thinking.

To be fair, if the Bible is discounted, then the basic thinking many have which is based on "other truth" lines up consistently with that different "truth".

So it's easy to understand why many are convinced, & sometimes rather militant, about what they see as truth & how that should apply to all our lives.

But there seems to be less & less tolerance for those who make the truths expressed in the Bible their moral center.

But then, hasn't that been fairly truth throughout history?

********


Here on earth you will have many trials & sorrows.

     But take heart, because I have overcome the world.

John 16:33b


I wish someone would text or tweet me this every day.

No comments: