Saturday, March 26, 2016

I wonder...

Luke 10

25 One day an expert in religious law stood up to test Jesus by asking him this question:

"Teacher, what should I do to inherit eternal life?"  
26 Jesus replied,

"What does the law of Moses say? How do you read it?"  
27 The man answered,

"'You must love the LORD your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your strength, and all your mind.'

And, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

  28 "Right!" Jesus told him. "Do this and you will live!"

  29 The man wanted to justify his actions, so he asked Jesus,

"And who is my neighbor?"


After that question, Jesus told the parable of the Good Samaritan.



I did a quick google of how many laws there were back then in Jewish life.

I found a few sources that there were 613 different laws.

But I don't think that counts all of them. I think we get the feeling from what Jesus says to the Pharisees on different occasions that there were more than that.

613 is a pretty tall order in itself. Most people back then had no education. So I would think it was a word of mouth situation for most.

But it all boils down to 2 things...

Love God.

Love others.

In other places in the Gospels, Jesus is asked a similar question - what is the greatest commandment.

And He gives this same answer...

Love God.

Love others.


That's an amazing statement, considering the vast array of laws the Jews observed.


Love God.

Love others.


I wonder what our world would be like, & I wonder what the world would think of us as followers of Jesus, if we were to become clearly & simply known as a group of people who love God & love others.

No comments: