Monday, March 28, 2016

provision & care

Luke 12

22 Then, turning to his disciples, Jesus said,

"That is why I tell you don't worry about everyday life;

whether you have enough food to eat or enough clothes to wear.

23 For life is more than food,

and your body more than clothing.

24 Look at the ravens.

They don't plant or harvest or store food in barns,

for God feeds them.

And you are far more valuable to him than any birds!

25 Can all your worries add a single moment to your life?

26 And if worry can't accomplish a little thing like that, what's the use of worrying over bigger things?

  27 "Look at the lilies and how they grow.

They don't work or make their clothing,

yet Solomon in all his glory was not dressed as beautifully as they are.

28 And if God cares so wonderfully for flowers that are here today and thrown into the fire tomorrow,

he will certainly care for you.

Why do you have so little faith?

  29 "And don't be concerned about what to eat and what to drink.

Don't worry about such things.

30 These things dominate the thoughts of unbelievers all over the world,

but your Father already knows your needs.


31 Seek the Kingdom of God above all else,

and he will give you everything you need.

  32 "So don't be afraid, little flock.

For it gives your Father great happiness to give you the Kingdom.
  

33 "Sell your possessions

and give to those in need.

This will store up treasure for you in heaven!

And the purses of heaven never get old

or develop holes.

Your treasure will be safe;

no thief can steal it

and no moth can destroy it.


34 Wherever your treasure is,

there the desires of your heart will also be.



My friend & mischievous nephew, Aaron Barth, would say Jesus summed up that whole passage in the verse 22...

...don't worry about everyday life...”

I wonder what our lives would be like if we all took Jesus at His word – if we simply trusted His ability to provide for us.

Trusting is a choice – we can either choose to trust God, or not.

A few months ago, I chose to trust Him more in regards to ability to provide.

For many, many months, it seems that quite a bit of what He seemed to be making stand out on the pages of the Bible had a lot to say about His ability & willingness to take care of me & provide for my needs, on all different levels of need.

I can't say the heavens have opened up & angels sang & violins could be heard playing, but I can say that I don't worry as much.

I will confess I didn't go into this choosing to believe & trust out of towering sense of faith & love toward God.

I was just so sick & tired of worrying about some things that my side of the conversation at the time was kind of along the line of well, if all You seem to be saying is to trust Him & not worry, well, then I'm going to, & if I end up in a mess, then it's not my fault.

Yeah, like I said, I was hardly a sterling example of faith & trust.

But, it seems in the few months since then I have worried less.

Just bein' real here...


Read this passage again – I will, too.

And maybe if we can key into the reality of verse 32 that says it gives God great pleasure to take care of us, our worrying quotient will be lowered.

No comments: