Wednesday, September 8, 2010

anything?

I John 5:21 Dear children, keep away from anything that might take God's place in your hearts.

We live in a society & culture that is incredibly wealthy. Even the poorest among us make more than the overwhelming majority of the rest of the world.

What might be some of the things included in the "anything" John refers to?

money
position
great job
great car
great place to live
video games
pumped & ripped body
friends
influence
reputation
opinions of others
sex
food
time off
toys
more interested in me than others
lots of stuff, like material things
clothes
greed
relationships
smugness
hate
dysfunction
a spirit of saying "later" rather than "ok, I'll be/do what You say"
laziness
pet sins
busy-ness
hidden motives
gossip disguised as prayer concerns
jealousy
fear
my way or the highway
arrogance

what else?

It's so easy to let even good things take God's place in our hearts.

It's all about what's the single most important thing in our lives.

Is there anything we think we can't live without?

I've been thinking about that this morning. Is there anything I couldn't give up. If there is, could that thing be what John is talking about?

Or must I come to the point where everything is surrender-able, except my relationship with our Abba Father?

everything...?

anything...?

I think so.

No comments: