Saturday, September 11, 2010

guidance

(I don't know how people get along without reading the Bible every day? Of course, the real question is how did I get along all those decades without reading the Bible every day - until 2003 when I started read everyday? Look at my life - not well.)

It's a really stressful time right now.
Lynn is still teaching part time at Macon State on Mondays & Wednesdays.
We've just bought a house in Blairsville & we're moving a little bit along & along.
We're not really at home up there yet because we're not up there yet.
Folks in Macon have disconnected & moved on with their lives.

It's just a funny place to be right now - not here, not there.

(We did open a checking account in a bank up there yesterday. The people at the bank were SO nice & welcoming. They were so nice, I applied for a job as a teller there! It gave us an infinitesimal feeling of belonging.)

And, I suppose it goes without saying that the devil has been kicking my butt for the last week or so.

The latest is that this whole Blairsville this is just something I've deluded myself into believing.

That doesn't sound like much to worry about, but try turning your life upside down, prepare to leave everything you've known for 30 years (that's how long we've been in middle GA), & go somewhere where virtually no one knows you & start all over again - at 60!

To calm my fears & in trying to shut the devil up, I've held on to the short sentence from Jesus in Matthew 6 right before all that stuff about lilies of the field & birds of the air...

"don't worry about your life."

Before Aaron Barth gave that to me in January, 2008, I was a world class worrier. Now, not so much.

So I hold on to that.

I've been holding on to the 4 scripture sections. The Lord reminds me the short section of Proverbs 3:5 in the Message says, "don't try to figure everything out on your own."

Yeah, I'm trying to not figure it all out.

Anyway, I said all that to say this...

When I got up this morning, I just kinda sorta told the Lord I needed to hear from Him this morning because I'm just really weak right now.

In the sequential reading that I do through parts of the Bible, I was supposed to read Hosea 10 (depressing - all about the terrible stuff that's supposed to happen to Israel), Psalm 25, & 1 Thessalonians 2

After reading Hosea, I wishing I was done with him! ;-)

Then I read Psalm 25...

Here's the verses that came up off the page... (you might say this is a coincidence - sorry, this has happened to me way too many times for it to be purely coincidental!)

Psalm 25:3a
No one who trusts in you will ever be disgraced,

4 Show me the right path, O LORD;
point out the road for me to follow.
5 Lead me by your truth and teach me,
for you are the God who saves me.
All day long I put my hope in you.

8 The LORD is good and does what is right;
he shows the proper path to those who go astray.
9 He leads the humble in doing right,
teaching them his way.
10 The LORD leads with unfailing love and faithfulness
all who keep his covenant and obey his decrees
.

So, there you have it. He's propped me up, again, with His word, reminded me Who's in charge, & just kinda said like a GPS will sometimes, "continue moving in the direction you are going."

I still don't REALLY know what's ahead. I may not ever know what all our season in Blairsville is all about. Ripple effects sometimes don't show up for years. I'm just heading into it.

Now let's be realistic about this for a minute...

Let's just talk about the elephant in the room - what if this is just a figment of my imagination & too much pepperoni one night?

Well, I'd rather be wrong actively trying to following God's leading than hold back until it's a sure thing.

What if I'd held back with moving from music to HOG in 2003? Look at all the fantastic, crazy, wonderful people I would have missed.

I know I used this youtube a few days ago. It's still true today. Take a listen. It's the resolve I continue to walk in faith in right now...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TPBrwbRSxc

No comments: