Saturday, October 16, 2010

who are we playing to?

Psalm 60:12 With God's help we will do mighty things, for He will trample down our foes.

Whenever we read this, & certainly the 1st time I absorbed this verse, we think "mighty things" means big, flashy things that fulfill the success orientation in which we live here in America, or the western world, for that matter.

Each quarter, I get a publication from my alma mater, Asbury College. In it there always seems to be glittering stories of the success & successes of various alumni. I used to always feel kinda insignificant compared to them.

Somewhere along the way over the last 10 years at Christ Chapel, I've begun to see my life from a different perspective.

I see so many people who have found the strength & courage to break the generational curses in their lives, & I know that it was God's love coming through me that contributed to that curse breaking.

I realize that now quite a few people, especially from House of Grace Macon, have been, are, or are preparing to go off on mission for God because God poked me to tell them over & over again that God had dreamed up a BIG life for each of us when He thought each of us up a gajillion years ago.

And I know that many people have found new life, freedom, fulfillment, belonging, & peace with our Abba Father because God led me to love them, probe into their lives, speak into their hearts, & ask the tough questions about the direction of their lives.

Would I trade all that for a more glittering success like that of many of my college friends?

Nope.

How long did it take me to get to that place?

Decades.

Don't take that long. Realize now that God has a BIG life dreamed up for you. It may be glittering & staggeringly successful in the world's eyes. Or it may not. The important thing is to be & do what He wants you to be & do, because in the final analysis, He's the One we have to answer to, He's the One who's approval we should seek, & He's the One who will reward us for our faithfulness.

Just a thought...

No comments: