Saturday, October 9, 2010

work integrity

Ephesians 6: 7 Work with enthusiasm, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people. 8 Remember that the Lord will reward each one of us for the good we do...

A little over a year ago, I had a very interesting chat with the office manager of a downtown Macon business.

I was talking with her about the various job openings they had. I try to keep my ear to the ground about available jobs. Many of the 20somethings around me are looking for work, or better work opportunities.

I asked what the qualifications for these jobs were. The office manager reeled off the qualifications rather quickly, & then added something else.

She said, "ya know, Dan, if people will just show up, be on time, &/or let us know when they're not coming in, they've got a job here."

I asked her if she was kidding.

She told me she wasn't. She went on to tell me that may of the people who had come through their business were either chronically late - like, the majority of the time - or just didn't show up & didn't call to let them know.

She wasn't telling me something I didn't already know.

I realize that many in my generation (Baby Boomers) live to work. There is a somewhat better prevailing attitude these days that we work to live. Iow, we're not nearly as obsessed with working.

At the same time, I find it troubling that many people I know today just simply waltz into their jobs each day - or meetings, gatherings, or the like - anywhere from a few minutes late to a couple of hours late. And when someone asks them about it, or confronts them, they seem a bit offended by the question. I'm not sure what the baseline attitude is, but the one that is communicated is "chill - I'm here, I made it."

The one that I know drives employers crazy (and me in a ministry leadership position) are people who just don't show up & don't let anyone know 1) they're not coming, or 2) why they're not coming.

I see so many people who either lose their jobs, or are not given raises as quickly as other, or who simply don't advance beyond basic level because they just do not exercise the common courtesy of showing up on time, or calling in when they can't come in.

I said all that to say this - in whatever we do, whether is just life in general, or in our employment, we need to play to an audience of One. Iow, we should do what we do not to please others, but to bring pleasure to our Abba Father.

So, how does that play out?

Be at work, ready to go, at the appointed time. We don't have to be overly early, but be there when we're supposed to be, so no one else has to pick up our slack, or wonder where we are & if we're going to be taking care of our responsibilities.

If we're not coming in, call whoever needs to be called & let them know.

Think about it...

No comments: