Wednesday, January 5, 2011

promises

Galatians 6:9 Don't get tired of doing what is good. Don't get discouraged & give up, for we will reap a harvest of blessing at the appropriate time.

About 5 years ago, I had a really tough situation going on in my life. It was a situation over which I really had no control. It was one that I really didn't know what to do about.


One morning, during staff prayer (the staff of Christ Chapel spends the 1st 60 minutes of the day in prayer), I'm walking around the room holding this situation before God.


Clear as I can say it, something interesting & unusual happened - the thought dropped in my head, "Go read Galatians 6".


I'm thinking, "Galatians 6?!" I had read it recently, so I pretty much knew what was in it. I couldn't see how that would help in my situation.


The reply came back - Go read Galatians 6.


I've learned to obey that voice in my head - it's usually God dropping thoughts in my head.


So I go over to my Bible, flip it open, & start reading.


Nothing...


...until I get to verse 9...


...the words "don't get discouraged & give up" jumped off the page & slapped me across the face.


I was discouraged. I wanted to give up.


I was more than kinda stunned.


...particularly about the part that says, " for we will reap a harvest of blessing at the appropriate time."


I didn't see how that was gonna happen. But then, I'm not God (can someone say amen?).


So, I accepted it that day, & have held on to it over the years.


Trust me, w/o this verse I would have given up on this situation LONG AGO.


But I haven't. I don't know how He's gonna bring "a harvest of blessing" to it, but then that's His job, not mine. My job is to simply continue to love & care, & be who I am. He's in charge of the rest.


I've come to accept the fact that I may not see the "reap a harvest of blessing" part until I get to heaven.


That's ok. I'll have an eternity to enjoy it.


Then again, God is very creative - the "harvest of blessing" may find its "appropriate time" this side of heaven. We'll see.


You should know I have seen a few very small, somewhat mysterious changes in the situation in the last year.


But a promise is a promise.


I'm holding on.


The important thing here for me is that God very specifically spoke to me about this situation, gave me something (a verse from His Word) to specifically hold in to, & a promise to claim.


And this isn't the only time He's done something like this.


If He will do it for me, He will do it for you.

No comments: