Wednesday, June 27, 2012

an old ENglish nun's prayer

no, I'm not a nun. yes, English is part of my ancestry. am i old? well...

no author is indicated for this. It's a caligraphy piece that's been hanging in our bedroom for over a decade, a reminder as we age.

I just thought it could be helpful for those like me in the autumn of their lives, & those who one day will be.



An Old English Nun's Prayer - Author Unknown

Lord, Thou knowest better that I know myself that I am growing older & will someday be old.
Keep me from the fatal habit of thinking I must say something on every subject & on every occasion.

Release me from craving to straighten out everybody's affairs.
Make me thoughtful but not moody, helpful but not bosy.
With my vast store of wisdom it seems a pity not to use it all, but Thou knowest Lord that I want a few friends at the end.

Keep my mind free from the recital of endless details; give me wings to get to the point.
Seal my lips on my aches & pains. They are increasing & love of rehearsing them is becoming sweeter as the years go by.
I dare no ask for grace enough to enjoy the tales of others' pains, but help me to endure them with patience.

I dare not ask for improved memory but for a growing humility & a lessening cocksureness when my memory seems to clash with the memory of others.
Teach me the glorious lesson that occasionally I may be mistaken.

Keep me reasonably sweet;
I do not want to be a Saint - some of them are so hard to tp live with - but a sour old person is one of the crowning works of the devil.

Give me the ability to see good things in the unexpected places, & talents in unexpected people.
And give me the grace to tell them so.

Amen

No comments: