Wednesday, September 26, 2012

continuing

Acts 20:24 My life is worth nothing unless I use it for doing the work assigned me by the Lord Jesus - the work of telling others the Good News about God's wonderful kindness & love.


Once a quarter I get the alumni magazine from my college from my alma mater, Asbury College (now Asbury University!)

In it is news of stuff going on at the university, but there's also news from fellow alumni, faculty, & friends.

I learned this week of the death of one of the faculty who was teaching when I was there. Although I never took Dr. Neff for a class, he was a dear & trusted teacher & friend to all of us who were a part of the student body. As I thought about him this week, I thought about the ripple effect of his life on the students.

Some of my friends from those college days have passed away. Many have, are, or will retire soon. Some have had quite glamorous lives. Some have simply been who they are in their lives as a Christ follower & loved the people around them well. All of them have had or will continue to have an eternal ripple effect in the lives of those who come in contact with them.

Since long before going to Asbury, I've heard this chorus from a poem by CT Studd, & so many times since then that it's become kinda redundant, but it still is true, none the less. I quoted the whole poem a few days ago.

"Only one life, 'twill soon be past. Only what's done for Christ will last."


I know this sounds like I'm putting myself out to pasture.

Nope.

I'm still relatively young at 62. (I'm still waiting to grow up!) If the Lord chooses, I still have MANY years left to connect with people for Him.

I still know there are loads of people all around me all the time who still need to know what I've come to know - "the Good news about God's wonderful kindness & love."

It's just very interesting how even now, as we wait, how He's insinuating me into the lives of people here.


I've lived long enough, & watched the good, bad, or indifferent lives of enough people, to know that we who follow Jesus are to simply be who we are in Him & connect with the people God draws into our lives.

And connecting with those people is the thing that makes our lives worthwhile - not what we acquire, nor the power, position, or prestige we attain. It is the part of Him we leave in the lives we touch that gives our lives worth - it is this eternal ripple effect that we leave to this poor old beat up world that really matters.

No comments: