Sunday, March 23, 2014

favor

Mark 4:24 Then Jesus added,

"Pay close attention to what you hear.

The closer you listen, the more understanding you will be given;

     and you will receive even more.

25 To those who listen to my teaching, more understanding will be given.

But for those who are not listening, even what little understanding they have will be taken away from them."



I have a Life Application Bible -  a good investment.

It has commentary at the bottom of the pages about various selected verses on the page. It's a really good tool when reading the Bible.

I used it for many years until my copy literally fell apart. It took me a while to find another one in the first addition of the NLT. It's print is a bit small, making it hard to read. But that's okay - I now read out of a giant print copy of the NLT.

I HEARD ALL THOSE TACKY THINGS Y'ALL JUST THOUGHT!!!    ;-)


Anyway... here's what it says especially about verse 25...

"This verse simply means that we are responsible to use well what we have. How much we have is not nearly as important as what we do with it."


So, it's not so much about what talents, strengths, giftings, etc that we have that is crucial.

It's what we let God do with those talents, strengths, & giftings that's pivotal.


Most of my life, I've felt kinda like I've been operating out of my depth. So much of the things I've been able to be & do haven't been so much that I've so stupendously talented, but because for some reason God has given me favor - and sometimes pulled a rabbit out of a hat!


I remember in June of 2009 (was that REALLY 5 years ago?!!!) we were enjoying good crowds at House of Grace (a 20something ministry I was leading at the time) when one night that month our attendance spiked almost 100%!!!

And it held for the rest of the year!!!

I remember walking around that night in a room bursting with people and a Holy Spirit vibe, asking God "what in the world?!" ( yeah, I have DEEP thoughts all the time ;-) LOL )

Clear as a bell, this still, small voice dropped this thought into my head...

"This isn't you, this is Me."


I said all that to say this...

It's all about the favor of God.

We can be brilliantly talented, with a glittering personality, planning out the wazoo, & enough people working with us that we could charge Hell with water pistols - but if we don't have His favor behind us,we don't have a chance.

At the same time, not matter our gifting, great or small, if we have the His favor backing us up, what we are or are doing is unstoppable.

I've seen it way too many times in my own life, & in the lives of others.


So?

You may be someone who feels insignificant, ill equipped, dull, slow, boring, or just incapable. (I've felt that way more than once!)

God delights in using someone who feels like that - because the world says only those who are glitteringly glamorous will be successful.

Those who have impact & significance are people who are surrendered to Him, available for His use, in whatever ways He sees fit. The outcome is ALWAYS determined by Him.


I don't know who this epistle is for  - maybe it was just for me. I hope if it was for you, you will hitch up your drawers & walk toward & walk in what you know He's wanting you to be &/or do.

With His favor behind you, you're unstoppable.

No comments: