Friday, March 7, 2014

making it happen

Matthew 16:24 Then Jesus said to his disciples,

"If any of you wants to be my follower,

     you must lay aside your selfish ambition,

     shoulder your cross,

     and follow me.




25 If you try to keep your life for yourself (dan note: like, try to hang on to it),

        you will lose it.

But if you give up your life for my sake,

     you will find true life.



26 And how do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul in the process?

       Is anything worth more than your soul?



When I read these verses, I think of these people, or people like them...

     Steve Jobs

     Margaret Thatcher

     Cory Monteith

     Whitney Houston

     Nelson Mandela

     Paul Walker

     Amy Winehouse

     Phillip Seymour Hoffman

     James Gandolfini

     Hugo Chavez


People who "had it all".

I wonder what they would say to us now,if they could speak to us?

Would they tell us that trying to make our lives happen, at any cost, proves to be just the wrong direction, the wrong thinking, & the wrong use of our energies?

And yet, we do that all the time - make our life happen.

I have someone in my life who is just turning himself inside out trying to make his life happen.

And all he has to do is let go of his life, & wait for his life to unfold in God's timing, EVERYTHING that he wants & dreams will come to him.

What does Jesus say to us here?

Could it be something simple...? like...?

     "Let go of what you want, & let Me give you the life you've always wanted"

SO why don't we do it?

Because we want what we want, & we want it NOW! (or, more like we want it yesterday!)


The longer I live, & the more I experience following Jesus, and more importantly, as I watch the lives of those around me, the more I believe if we just chill, & follow His lead, the life He will bring to us is & will be infinitely more than we ever imagined

No comments: