Wednesday, July 9, 2014

keep on

Hebrews 12



12 So take a new grip with your tired hands,



        & stand firm on your shakey legs.



13 Mark out a straight path for your feet.



Then those who follow you,



        though they are weak & lame,



     will not stumble & fall

     but will become strong.



As long as we are here on earth, we don't have the option to quit, to retire from life.

Now that I've lived long enough to move into my "golden years" (whoever quantified those years with that tag obviously hadn't lived them yet!), I've seen more & more of my peers "retire".

The unfortunate thing about it is that many are interpreting "retire" to mean quit engaging the people & things around them & live a totally self-centered life, frittering away their lives, influence, & continued impact.

I don't believe the word "retire" ever comes up in the Bible.

I don't think Paul ever wrote an epistle about retiring.

I don't believe David ever wrote a psalm about retiring.

And I don't think Jesus spent a chunk of time talking about it in the Sermon on the Mount.


You do realize I'm not talking about that thing we do in our 60's in regards to the job we have or Social Security?


I'm talking about living.


Yeah...


As my Granny Carrie used to say (she lived until she was 108?),

     "Danny, live till you die."

She certainly did.


SO MANY people, especially Millenials, have no positive role models in their lives - iow, they don't have a lot of people they know that seem to live fairly functional lives.

If nothing else, we can be an example & warning to them how NOT to live our lives!

In the last few years, I can't count how many times I've said,"Well, I did that, & I got into a LOT of trouble."

And there's also been lots of times I've said,"Yeah, I've seen that work!"

A lot of Millenials just need someone to say to them, "You can do this" or "You've got what it takes to do this" or "I believe in you" or "I'm proud of you".

So many of them have NEVER heard anyone say that to them.

SO MANY of them have never been a priority for someone - they've been neglected, ignored, abandoned, abused, rejected, or simply put on the back burner of the lives of the very people in which the Millenial should be a major focus.


So all of us with tired legs & shakey legs - keep on...


There's a world out there who still needs us.

No comments: