Sunday, April 12, 2015

being a servant

This is Jesus talking here...



Luke 17

7
 "When a servant comes in from plowing or taking care of sheep, does his master say,

      'Come in and eat with me'?

8 No,

he says, 'Prepare my meal, put on your apron, and serve me while I eat.

      Then you can eat later.'

9 And does the master thank the servant for doing what he was told to do?

      Of course not.


10 In the same way, when you obey me you should say,

      'We are unworthy servants who have simply done our duty.'"



So much for a success orientation in regards to servanthood...

I don't think Jesus is denigrating being a servant.

What I do think is He doing is stating that we are not promised a glittering, stupendous, outstanding, famous life as a servant of the Lord, even though it seems a lot of Christians & church leaders teach us that.

Being a servant of the Lord is the ONLY fitting response to the love, mercy, & grace He extends to the undeserving people that we are.

We've developed (& taught) a kind of "He's lucky to have me" attitude when we serve the Lord.

We tend to forget that the Lord IS the high, infinitely mind-blowing holy, all knowing, all powerful God of the universes - NOT a bigger, grandfatherly version of ourselves!

Yes, there are some "servants of the Lord" who have glitteringly dazzling lives, but they are the exceptions, not the rule.

Most of us serve the Lord in obscurity, being & doing as He leads, with seldom, if ever, any recognition.


Think about that today, & see how that squares with your theology  ;-)

No comments: