Thursday, April 2, 2015

reality check

LORD,

     remind me how brief my time on earth will be.
 
     Remind me that my days are numbered;

     how fleeting my life is.

You have made my life no longer than the width of my hand.

    My entire lifetime is just a moment to you;
 
   at best, each of us is but a breath.


We are merely moving shadows,

     and all our busy rushing ends in nothing.

We heap up wealth,

     not knowing who will spend it.

And so, Lord,

    where do I put my hope?


  My only hope is in you.


Psalm 39:4-7



The older I get, the more I see how sinful I really am.

The older I get, the more I see how short life really is.

The older I get, the more I see what is really important, & what really isn't.


We spend our time & effort majoring on the minor things of life, & minoring on the major things.

We continually allow the urgent to take precedent over the essential.

We can't see the forest for the trees.

We focus on a very narrow, singular situation, event, or person, & miss the enormity of the big picture.

We sweat the small stuff far too much & far too often.

We seldom stop & smell the roses until we realize the roses are all dead & gone.


We only have one life, one shot...

     and that life will soon have come & gone.


The older I get, the more I see only 2 things that will continue to have a ripple effect after we have come & gone...

   ...the things we have been & done for God,

   ...& the people we have loved well.

No comments: