Wednesday, August 31, 2016

a breath

Lord, remind me how brief my time on earth will be.


Remind me that my days are numbered, & that my life is fleeing away.


My life is no longer than the width of my hand.


An entire lifetime is just a moment to You:


human existence is but a breath.


We are merely moving shadows,


& all our busy rushing ends in nothing.


We heap up wealth for someone else to spend.


And so, Lord,where do I put my hope?


My only hope is in You.


Psalm 39:4-7



I look around our world these days & see so many people, within our country & outside our country, who act as if they are going to live forever.


Some of them give me the feeling that they are pretty omnipotent.


I've lived too long & seen too much.


Life is short – we blink our eyes & it's coming to an end.


What would I do differently if I could? Oh my... many things...


I would take more risks - & I have been seen by many as a risk taken in many ways, especially as a music minister.


I wouldn't sweat the small stuff – I worried about what a friend of mine in Fitzgerald, GA would have called, “small potatoes”.


I don't know if I'd tolerate some things in my workplace.

I met a guy at Hannah & Lance's wedding – a friend of Lance's who works for The Cheesecake Factory.

I ask him if it was a good place to work.

He said it was for him.

I told him that I've come to believe that life's too short to work in a place that abuses you or where the mix of employee / management personalities is toxic.


I wouldn't wait until I was 52 ½ years old to start reading the Bible every day without fail (you knew I was gonna say it eventually ;-) LOL)



I have wished so many times in the last couple of years, as I have watched events unfold in our world, that the people who lead us & influence us could grasp the concept that “our lives are but a breath”.


Maybe things would be in as big a mess if they grasped it a little more.


But I don't think they will.


I continue to believe there's more afoot these days than what we are able to see.


And the longer I watch things, the more I realize the truth of verse 7...


And so, Lord, where do I put my hope? My only hope is in You.”

No comments: