Saturday, April 15, 2017

hang on

Jesus was walking to Gethsemane with His disciples.

It's the night before He is killed.

Judas has already left them – he will return with a crowd & betray Him.

It's a few hours at most before He knows He will be arrested & these disciples will all abandon Him.

He is giving these men some last minute instructions, sharing some important last minute truths.

I doubt if He would be mincing words.

I don't know how He managed t talk at all, let alone string together a sentence.

I know He know how it was all going to come out, but that sure didn't make facing it any easier.

He knew how devastated these disciples would be in a very short while.

He knew what lay ahead for each of them, not just in the next few days, but also the next few months & years.

He knew who would die first, who would die last, who would suffer the most, what all of them would suffer, & how it would all end up for each of them.

And in the dark, alone with them, as they walked toward the place Jesus would be betrayed & arrested, He says these words to them - and if they apply to the disciples, they apply to us.



John 16:33b


Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world. (NLT)


In the world you have tribulation and trials and distress and frustration; but be of good cheer [take courage; be confident, certain, undaunted]! For I have overcome the world. [I have deprived it of power to harm you and have conquered it for you.] (Amplified)


You will have suffering in this world. Be courageous! I have conquered the world. (CSB)


While you are in the world, you will have to suffer. But cheer up! I have defeated the world. (CEV)


In this world you will have troubles. But be brave! I have defeated the world! (ERV)


In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world. (ESV)


You will find trouble in the world—but, never lose heart, I have conquered the world! (J B Phillips)


In this godless world you will continue to experience difficulties. But take heart! I’ve conquered the world. (Message)


In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world. (NIV)


In this world, you will be plagued with times of trouble, but you need not fear; I have triumphed over this corrupt world order. (The Voice)


The world will trouble you much. But be glad. I have power over the world. (WE)

No comments: