Monday, March 15, 2010

10 years

Ten years ago this week my family & I came to Christ Chapel for the first time. We weren’t really sure what we were getting into, but we felt like this was where we were supposed to be.


We weren’t used to operating in the real & transparent atmosphere that is so characteristic of the chapel. It took some getting used to.


We discovered something that I now caution newcomers about – if you come to the chapel for very long, God’s gonna mess with you a lot.


Our Abba Father started messing with me in the areas of my life I least wanted Him to address.


The first 2 years I was on staff (starting in January, 2001) I spent my days “in the woodshed” getting a whipping for various issues.


I found out what it REALLY meant to be a servant. (Anyone who says, “All I want to be is a servant of the Lord” has never been one!)


And that was just the beginning.


Last Sunday when Beth was talking about “9 lessons she’s learned in 9 years at Christ Chapel,” I was thinking about the person I was back in 2000 when we showed up on Christ Chapel’s doorstep.


I don’t recognize that man anymore.


I was a man defined by his issues, filled with anger, hurt, frustrations, pride, arrogance, & a whole lot more. I don’t think many of you would have liked me then. I didn’t like me then. How did the staff stand me?!


So, who am I now? Maybe you should be the ones who quantify that.

Most of the issues have been resolved.

Most of the anger has been washed away.

So much of the hurt has been healed.

The frustrations have been released.

And the pride & arrogance? Hmmmm… well, I hope a lot of that has gone away.


I know I’m free – deliciously free.


I know I’m more in a “whatever” mode than I’ve ever been.


I know that reading the Bible every morning (that started since January of 2003) has completely changed my life.


And, at the risk of sounding trite, in the words of Chris Tomlin, “I know I am loved by the King, & it makes my heart want to sing.”


Thanks John for obeying the Lord 15 years ago. Where would I be, & who would I be if you hadn’t?


And thank You, Abba, for a love that will not let me go, & will not let me stay the same.


No comments: