Monday, August 2, 2010

counsel

Proverbs 15:22 Plans go wrong for lack of advice; many counselors bring success.

The rub here is trying to figure out how much advice is enough - when is enough enough?

Each of us is plunging headlong into life - hopefully the life God dreamed for us.

It's not safe, or prudent, to make ourselves an island, not seeking good counsel - the hard part is finding good counsel - people who have good sense, but don't try to overwhelm us with their ideas.

I find that people are always willing to tell you what they think.

But that isn't always wise counsel.

I've found as I've walked toward whatever it is He has for us in Blairsville that I have to be prudent with whom I give a hearing. I've got plenty of people in my life who are more than willing to tell me what they think I should be or do. Very few of them know what their talking about.

How do I pick & choose amongst the opinions?

Obviously, this person has to be a pretty mature Christ follower, as well as a person whose life shows a consistency & maturity in general.

Usually if someone is somewhat hesitant to offer an opinion, that's a good sign.

If they have a take it or leave it attitude about what they say, rather than an attitude that implies that they think they're speaking for God.

If someone is proactive - iow, if they exhibit an interest that isn't prompted by me usually means they're thinking about it in a constructive way.

Receiving advice & counsel is a dicey thing - I try to take everything with a grain of salt, & test it out with what I think God's saying to me about the whole thing.

One thing's for sure - if I'd listened to a lot of the opinions I've gotten, we wouldn't be going to Blairsville! ;-)

Btw, the house is being inspected this week. One more step in the process. Woot!

No comments: