Friday, March 11, 2011

following His lead

Psalm 25:4 Show me the right path, O LORD;
  point out the road for me to follow.
5 Lead me by your truth and teach me,
  for you are the God who saves me.
  All day long I put my hope in you.
6 Remember, O LORD, your compassion and unfailing love,
  which you have shown from long ages past.
7 Do not remember the rebellious sins of my youth.
  Remember me in the light of your unfailing love,
  for you are merciful, O LORD.

8 The LORD is good and does what is right;
  he shows the proper path to those who go astray.
9 He leads the humble in doing right,
  teaching them his way.
10 The LORD leads with unfailing love and faithfulness
  all who keep his covenant and obey his demands.


If we walking through the woods, how do we know we're on the right path?

By moving forward, one step at a time.

And what do we do if we realize we've been on the wrong path?

We turn around & go back to the last place we knew where we were.


T.D. Jakes gave an illustration of God's guidance once that has arrested my thinking since.

He compares God's leading to a GPS.

A GPS calculates the most efficient route for us to go from point A to point B.

We have to take the step of faith that the GPS knows where it's sending us.

As we travel along, it will say, "Prepare to turn left" & then a little later, it will say, "Turn left now."

If we make a wrong turn, it will send a warning message that we're off course.

If we continue in our wrong direction, it will recalculate, & then tell us what we need to do to get back on course.

If you're like me, I'll be traveling down the road & the GPS hasn't said anything to me. I get paranoid, thinking I may be off course, or the GPS broke down, or the satellite veered off course, or something!

Every GPS has a panic button - something we push in situations like this.

And most of the time, the GPS in this situation will say, "Continue moving in the direction you are going."


You get the parallels, I'm sure, as to how God leads & guides us in our lives. ;-)

No comments: