Monday, August 1, 2011

ripple effect

1 Timothy 5:24 Remember that some people lead sinful lives, & everyone knows they will be judged. But there are others whose sin will not be revealed until later. 25 In the same way, everyone knows how much good some people do, but there are others whose good deeds won't be known until later.

I know that on the surface these 2 verses are about sins or good deeds we do in secret. That's a pretty straightforward understanding. But when I read especially verse 25 this morning, I thought of something that happened recently.

I got a message from a woman who was a part of the ministries I led earlier in my life. She kinda grew up from a child while I was around her. She's a grown woman now, married, & off on a new & exciting life.

In her note, she just shared briefly & simply the impact that Lynn & I had on her life.

I had no idea we had that kind of influence on her.

I said all that to say this...

We just never know the ripple effects of our lives. We never know know how by just being who we are as a Christ follower will affect the people around us.

Without becoming neurotic, I think we should at least understand that God is able to interpret our lives & actions in the minds of people we come in contact with in ways we may never fully know until we get to heaven.

And there are ripple effects to our lives - God uses us to influence people, who's lives, thinking, direction, & choices with people are affected. And then those people's lives, thinking, direction,  & choices are affected.

Thus the ripples from our lives continue to touch people in ever widening circles.

(I hope that made sense.)

It's both sobering, & exciting.

Think about it...

No comments: