Saturday, August 27, 2011

some verses from James

I hope y'all understand that I'm just a guy writing about stuff he reads. I'm not all that special or wise. Whatever may speak to you from what I write or say comes from the Holy Spirit, not from me. We all understand that now?

Anyway, here's some verses from James 4...

vs 2c ...the reason you don't have what you want is that you don't ask God for it. 3a And even when you do ask, you don't get it because your whole motive is wrong...

Is this one of those "you have not because you ask not" kinda things? of course, comin' right after it is the kicker "you don't get what you ask for because your motives are wrong".
So, I guess we're supposed to ask - well, I guess we're supposed to talk to God about everything & anything, while at the same time checking our motives for the whole thing?
This may be an obvious observation to you. I'm just thinkin' out loud here.

vs 5 The Holy Spirit, whom God placed within you, jealously longs for us to be faithful. 6a He gives us more & more strength to stand...

It's an interesting thought that the Holy Spirit "longs" for us to be & do what we're supposed to be & do. If you think about it, it can kind of kick you butt. The Powerhouse of the universes is aware of us (nanospecks in the cosmos) & yearns for us to be & do the right thing.
And then on top of that is willing to give us the power to be & do it.
I know this is something we all know in our heads, but do we live it in our hearts?

vs 10 when you bow down before the Lord & admit your dependence on Him, He will lift you up & give you honor.

This is pretty obvious - if we admit we can't do anything much, then that frees God up to work in us & through us without any hindrances from us

No comments: