Monday, August 29, 2011

trials

1 Peter 1:7 These trials will show that your faith is genuine. It is being tested as fire tests and purifies gold—though your faith is far more precious than mere gold.

So when your faith remains strong through many trials, it will bring you much praise and glory and honor on the day when Jesus Christ is revealed to the whole world.


My Life Application Bible says this about that verse...

"As gold is heated, impurities float to the top& can be skimmed off.

"Steel is tempered or straightened by heating it in fire.

"Likewise, our trials, struggles,& persecutions refine & strengthen our faith, making us useful to God"


What they fail to mention is that a VERY high heat is used in the refining process. Iow, those impurities often get burned off, as well as skimmed off.

Anyone like having impurities in our lives burned off?!

Whenever I hear someone say, "I want the Lord to refine me" I often wonder if they've ever had Him do that?

It's kinda like praying for patience - God will then usually send someone into your life that will drive you crazy!

So what can we do when we're in the refining phase?

Endure.

He won't kill us. It'll just feel like it.

Will some of the impurities be burned off or skimmed off?

yes.

Will it hurt like all get out?

yes.

Will we be better, happier, & more useful for Him, even though it's a painful process?

yes.

How do I know?

I've got so many burn marks, I've named some of them.

;-)

No comments: