Tuesday, August 6, 2013

stuff

Proverbs 16:1 We gather our thought but the Lord gives the right answers.

vs 9 We can make our plans, but the Lord determines our steps.

vs 19 It is better to live humbly with the poor than to share plunder with the proud.

vs 33 We may throw the dice, but the Lord determines how they fall.



We think we're so clever, & we think that if we think of something, of course God is gonna bless it.

These verses seem to indicate that yes, we should use our brains, intellect, creativity, & reasoning, but in the final analysis, we need to offer all that up to Him in a provisio of, "well, here's what I'm thinking, but what do You think."

How many of us do that?

Or how many of us think up stuff to be & do, & then expect God to bless it?

I used to be like the latter for an embarrassingly long time, & still am sometimes. But I've also discovered t's far more productive to be the former - even though it can be kinda scary sometimes.

********


Mark 9:33 After they arrived at Capernaum and settled in a house, Jesus asked his disciples,

     "What were you discussing out on the road?"


34 But they didn't answer, because they had been arguing about which of them was the greatest.


35 He sat down, called the twelve disciples over to him, and said,

        "Whoever wants to be first must take last place and be the servant of everyone else."



  36 Then he put a little child among them.

Taking the child in his arms, he said to them,


     37 "Anyone who welcomes a little child like this on my behalf welcomes me,

     and anyone who welcomes me welcomes not only me but also my Father who sent me."



I guess that strikes a blow against always striving to be the alpha male or the alpha female.


How is this to be fleshed out in a whole where change agents are becoming more &more alpha personalities & not group consensus & effort?

No comments: