Tuesday, October 29, 2013

knocking

Revelation 3:20

Look! I stand at the door and knock. If you hear my voice and open the door, I will come in, and we will share a meal together as friends. (NLT)

Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me. (NKJV)

Look at me. I stand at the door. I knock. If you hear me call and open the door, I’ll come right in and sit down to supper with you. (The Message)

Now pay attention; I am standing at the door and knocking. If any of you hear My voice and open the door, then I will come in to visit with you and to share a meal at your table, and you will be with Me. (The Voice)

Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If you hear my voice and open the door, I will come in and eat with you. And you will eat with me. (ETR)


So what is Jesus saying here?

I believe these are the possibilities...


Jesus is always seeking to connect with us - that's the "knocking at the door"
- He's always trying to establish a relationship w/ us.

Think about that - Jesus is saying that He, the God of the universes is always trying to get us to come to Him.


And id we let Him into our lives, it won't be a casual thing - He will come & share life w/ us, do life w/ us, not just be a part of our life but will be in the very center of the important parts of our life - hence the "sharing a meal" thing.


The new Living Translation (which is the one I read from every day) takes it one step further. It says "we will share a meal together as friends."

So if we let God into the innermost part of our hearts & lives, the resulting relationship will be as friends.

So, the God of the universes offers us not a distant connection but a friendship, something close, something intimate, something strong.


wow...



Am I reading more into this verse than is there, or does this bear witness to your spirit as being spot on?

No comments: