Wednesday, October 30, 2013

say what?!

Luke 1:38a Mary responded,"I am the Lord's servant, & I am willing to accept whatever He wants."


That's what Mary, the mother of Jesus, said to angel, Gabriel, when he appeared to her & told her she, a virgin, would have the child Jesus.


Notice she said "...whatever He wants".


I think we have a tendency to make our plans & then hope, or expect, God to bless them.

I think it's supposed to be the other way around.

We ask God what He wants us to be & do, & then we be & do it.


Mary just basically said "whatever".

How many of us are like that when God tells us to be or do something?

Or do we have to know why He wants this,

     where it's all gonna lead,

     when it's gonna happen,

     what kind of costs will this entail,

     what it's gonna be like along the way,

     & how will we look & feel about it?


Can you imagine Mary asking Gabriel those questions?

     Say what?!!!

     Now, how is the "Holy Spirit coming upon you" thing gonna work?

     What am I supposed to do when my friends (or Joseph!) goes off the chain about me being pregnant before getting married?

     And I'm gonna need some sort of something to show people that I haven't lost my mind when I tell them I'm pregnant "by the Holy Spirit" or they're gonna think I'm nuts!

     Speaking of Joseph, what am I supposed to tell him?!

    
Yeah, I think if Mary had come out with all that, Gabriel would have told her, "never mind..."

But that's how we talk to God when He wants us to be or do something.


What's it take to be like Mary & say, "whatever..." to God?

Surrender.

Trust.


Think about that today.I know I'm gonna.

No comments: