Monday, October 19, 2015

where does the strength come from?

Sometimes we need to sit down a read something that (hopefully) will lift us up.

I went looking for something like that this morning.

Psalms usually has something we can hold on to,

something that can give us heart,

to help us keep putting one foot in front of the other.

Maybe this psalm will help you keep on keeping on. (that sounded a little glib! ;-)



Psalm 91

1 Those who live in the shelter of the Most High will find rest in the shadow of the Almighty.

2 This I declare about the LORD:

He alone is my refuge,

my place of safety;

He is my God,

& I trust him.

(dan note: what choice do we have. Is anything or anyone more trustworthy?!)

3 For he will rescue you from every trap
& protect you from deadly disease.

4 He will cover you with his feathers.

He will shelter you with his wings.

His faithful promises are your armor and protection.
5 Do not be afraid of the terrors of the night,

nor the arrow that flies in the day.

(dan note: how many of us feel like the world is closing in as we lie awake in the middle of the night?

6 Do not dread the disease that stalks in darkness,

nor the disaster that strikes at midday.

7 Though a thousand fall at your side,

though ten thousand are dying around you,

these evils will not touch you.

8 Just open your eyes, & see how the wicked are punished.


9 If you make the LORD your refuge,

if you make the Most High your shelter,

10 no evil will conquer you;

no plague will come near your home.

11 For He will order his angels to protect you wherever you go.

12 They will hold you up with their hands so you won't even hurt your foot on a stone.

13 You will trample upon lions and cobras;

you will crush fierce lions & serpents under your feet!

14 The LORD says, "I will rescue those who love me.

I will protect those who trust in my name.

15 When they call on me, I will answer;
I will be with them in trouble.
I will rescue and honor them.
16 I will reward them with a long life

& give them my salvation."



Some people (well, maybe more like a few) have told me that they perceive me a very strong.

Well, I hate to burst your bubble...

but I'm not.

I take it one day at a time, not because I'm all that holy & trusting,

but because one day often times is all I can handle.

Some days I wonder if I can take another step in this thing called “keeping on”.

I just hold on to the promises said is many different ways in many different places in the Bible...

...that the God of the universes, who loves me & takes great delight in me, is with me, not just generally, but specifically in my day to day life...

...that I can find strength & courage through the power of the Holy Spirit that lives inside of me...

even though sometimes it doesn't feel like the Power that raised Jesus from the dead is rumbling around inside of me.


Some days I feel like a tumbleweed, blow around almost hilariously by the winds & storms of life.


Anybody else feel that way sometimes?

Who was it that put forth the following basic thought process:

when we feel the power of the Holy Spirit least often is the very time(s) that He is most active in our lives, sustaining us, keeping us, protecting us, & giving us the strength to go on.”


Sometimes I wonder if I read so much that I can't keep it straight on the hard drive between my ears.


Anyway, I hope Psalm 91 helped someone else today.

I'm gonna try & hold on to it today, too.

No comments: