Saturday, October 21, 2017

notorious

Matthew 9

9 As Jesus was walking along, he saw a man named Matthew sitting at his tax collector's booth. 

"Follow me and be my disciple," Jesus said to him. 

So Matthew got up and followed him.



  10 Later, Matthew invited Jesus and his disciples to his home as dinner guests, 

along with many tax collectors and other notorious sinners.

11 But when the Pharisees saw this, they asked his disciples, 

"Why does your teacher eat with such scum?*"



  12 When Jesus heard this, he said, 

"Healthy people don't need a doctor—sick people do."

13 Then he added, 

"Now go and learn the meaning of this Scripture: 

'I want you to show mercy, not offer sacrifices.' 

For I have come to call not those who think they are righteous, 

but those who know they are sinners."


There's some interesting things about this passage...


Back then, I wonder what a "notorious" sinner was. 

Considering the plethora of awful & heinous things people were & did, there was quite an array of choices

Of course, today there's an equal array of sins for us to choose from, it's just that they are infinitely more socially acceptable, & not considered sins anymore!


I find it interesting that these notorious sinners actually wanted to be around Jesus. 

There must have been something about Him that drew them to Him.

Of course, today we have just the opposite - I don't get the feeling many folks who might fall into that notorious sinner category have any desire to be around Christians.

There must be something about Christians that influence that feeling from them?


I think the Pharisees reaction to Jesus hanging out with notorious sinners is typical of religious leaders back then as well as religious leaders today.


But the main thing that always comes to mind whenever I read this is the basic question...

Do non-believers want to hang out around me?

Do they feel loved & valued?

Does my connection with Jesus influence them to think about Him?

Or does the thought my relationship with Him only turn them off?

Do I simply love people enough / channel God's love enough, & let God be responsible for the rest?

And do I care what the super-Christians around me think about my hanging out with non-believers?

No comments: