Saturday, July 17, 2010

idols

An idol is a human-made object that is worshipped in some way.

Ezekel 14:1
Then some of the leaders of Israel visited me, and while they were sitting with me, 2 this message came to me from the LORD:

3
"Son of man, these leaders have set up idols IN THEIR HEARTS. They have embraced things that will make them fall into sin. Why should I listen to their requests?

4
Tell them, 'This is what the Sovereign LORD says: The people of Israel have set up idols IN THEIR HEARTS and fallen into sin, and then they go to a prophet asking for a message. So I, the LORD, will give them the kind of answer their great idolatry deserves.

5 I will do this to capture the minds and hearts of all my people who have turned from me to worship their detestable idols.'

6 "Therefore, tell the people of Israel, 'This is what the Sovereign LORD says: Repent and turn away from your idols, and stop all your detestable sins. 7 I, the LORD, will answer all those, both Israelites and foreigners, who reject me and set up idols IN THEIR HEARTS and so fall into sin, and who then come to a prophet asking for my advice.

8
I will turn against such people and make a terrible example of them, eliminating them from among my people. Then you will know that I am the LORD.


So, what are some idols you have IN YOUR HEART? I have some in mine.

So, what are these "idols in our hearts"?

Safety
prestige
position
revenge
security
recognition
lust
self centeredness
things
being "a player"
money
lazy
hating
an 8 pack
not being involved (apathetic or indifferent)
a skinny body
friends
being dysfunctional
sex
popularity
success

these are just a few - wanna add some more?

God doesn't seem real impressed with these "idols of our hearts" - iow, I guess these are the hidden idols no one knows about.

Sounds like He's gonna kick some butt with those who continue to have them.

I'm just sayin'...

No comments: