Sunday, July 4, 2010

unless

Acts 20:24 My life is worth nothing unless I use it for doing the work assigned me by the Lord Jesus - the work of telling others the Good News about God's wonderful kindness & love.

At this juncture in my life, most of the people I know are heading toward a much simpler slower life. They're retiring; whatever that means to each of them.

It is true that I've let go of much of the high-powered activity in my life - iow, I've slowed down from the frenetic pace I've lived for decades. That kind of intensity is better lived by those 2 to 4 decades younger than me

But I still believe I have work that is "assigned me by the Lord Jesus" - there are far too many people waiting to be told about "God's wonderful kindness & love" - far too many people living in bondage & pain that simply need someone to point them to our Abba Father.

I don't know where those assignments will take me. I'm surrendered to whatever - what choice do I really have? If I cling to my life - the people & things that I love about it so much right now - well, then, I'll lose that life. Jesus said so in Matthew 6:25

He did say that if I let go of my life for Him, then I would find my life.

You see, I've been saying this over & over again for almost 3 years now. Many of you have heard me say it in different contexts. Many of you may have thought it was easy for me to say, coming from my secure position of leadership & cozy lifestyle.

But it would seem that God has a new adventure up ahead for us. It will mean leaving that security & coziness. It will mean starting all over again. It will mean the biggest step of faith I've ever taken.

But Jesus said that if we let go of our lives for Him, we'll find our lives - we'll find the BIG lives He dreamed for us a gajillion years ago.

I don't know what the future holds. I've said "I don't know" more in the last 3 years than in the rest of my life, quintupled! But I continue to hold on to Psalm 139:5 "God both precedes & follows me."

I've got to believe that. As I said a few weeks ago, we either trust God, or we don't. I've got to trust Him. I've got to trust me to figure out what I think He's saying to be & do. I've got to risk being wrong about that.

Where would I be today if I'd listened to the nay-saying voices inside my head when I considered coming to Christ Chapel, or leaving music ministry for working with 20somethings, or moving to downtown Macon?

I have to move forward with what I feel He's calling me to be & do? So what if I'm wrong? Won't be the first time! Probably won't be the last.

But what if what I feel He's leading me to be & do is correct? What kind of adventure will it take me on? Who will I get to know & love? What will be the outcome of it all?

When I look at the results of my obedience particularly over the last 10 years & then look ahead, it looks pretty exciting - maybe not as the world would see it - maybe not as the people in my life right now may think of it. But all the same, it looks like it may be pretty interesting.

I hope you'll follow with me what God continues to unfold for me. God's very creative. It should turn out to be very unique.

Sorry this is so long - I got to talking & couldn't shut up ;-)

I love you all - thanks for reading this.

No comments: