Tuesday, July 26, 2011

whisperings

2 Thessalonians 1:11 ...our God will make you worthy of the life to which He called you.


It's SO important to put scripture in your heart & mind - which comes from reading it EVERY day! I know, I know - that was a shameless plug. Sorry - I just believe that completely.

For example...

I'd just memorized the above verse in 2nd Thessalonians back in the summer of 2009. One Tuesday night soon after, we had a spectacular night downtown at the warehouse at House of Grace, our 20something ministry at Christ Chapel in Macon.

I'd asked LeAnn, our worship leader at that time @ the church, to lead worship that night. She brought a whole raft of outstanding people to do worship. It was totally off the chain.

I'd also asked Ken Land, at that time pastor of Christ Chapel Cochran, to speak. Another off the chain experience that night.

We had a ridiculous amount of people for the room - maybe 70? or more?

Ken asked me to close the service.


Those of you who know me, know that transitions from worship & closeouts are not my strongest giftings. As I'm walking up to close, I'm thinking, "how in the world am I gonna close all this out!!!"

A still, small voice said inside my head, "God will make you worthy of the life to which He has called you."

Ok...

So, I got to the front, opened my mouth, & probably gave one of the best transitions/closeouts of my life.

I don't remember what I said now. I had the distinct feel that I wasn't the one doing the talking. Some people said the same thing afterward - things like, "Wow, dan, that was REALLY good! That had to be God speaking through you!"

:-) LOL


Anyway, here's the deal...

Walking up there to close, I'm thinking, "I'm running with the big dogs here. How is someone like me gonna come through at a consistent level of excellence when it's clear these folks are light years beyond me!"

And then God whispered a simple fact that I'd forgotten - HE was the One who was making me able to lead that ministry & finish that service - not me or my cleverness - HIM.

And He reminded me of that by using a verse I'd read recently & committed to memory.


I can't tell you how many times in the past 8 years He's done that.

His reminding, His whispers are what keeps me going. It keeps me from going crazy. It just keeps me - period.

So?

Read the Bible every day. Commit verses to memory that He brings up of the page. (Trust me, if you read every day, He WILL bring verses up of the page - that address the very things in your life you DON'T want Him to address!)

And He'll whisper them to you when you need them the most.

No comments: