Thursday, October 6, 2011

a 2012 verse

In 2003 my friend & brother Andy King told us at staff meeting that God had given him a scripture to hold on to for that year. I thought it was a cool Idea, so I asked God for one too. He gave me Romans 12:12 "Be glad for the things God is planning for you."

I was suspicious immediately.

I knew God was up to something.

Little did I know that God would address 3 gianormous issues with me that year. I wouldn't give a million gajillion dollars for the delicious freedom I now know because of His hand in my life. But that year was also so difficult that I wouldn't live through it again for any amount of money!

Ever since then I've asked Him for a scripture to hold on to.

In 2008 He gave me 4. I needed every one of them! They hung over for 2009.

In 2010 He gave me 5 passages, not just verses. Since we moved to Blairsville, I've held on to them with a death grip. They've kept me from going completely crazy (or crazier!).

I think this is either another passage to add to the 5 I've been carrying these past 2 years, or it may be for 2012. God put His finger on my heart as Pastor John was reading his scripture last Sunday during his sermon. I wasn't thinking about a new verse to hold on to now or for maybe 2012. Funny how creative God gets when He wants to speak to you.


Here's how it's translated by the different translations available (or paraphrased, as in The Message).

I think I'm supposed to hold on to the way these verses are treated in The Message & the NLT.


Matthew 6:33-34

The Message
33 Steep your life in God-reality, God-initiative, God-provisions. Don't worry about missing out. You'll find all your everyday human concerns will be met.
34 Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now, and don't get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow. God will help you deal with whatever hard things come up when the time comes.

NLT
33 Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need.
34 “So don’t worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today’s trouble is enough for today.

NIV
33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

J. B. Phillips
33 Set your heart on the kingdom and his goodness, and all these things will come to you as a matter of course.  
34 “Don’t worry at all then about tomorrow. Tomorrow can take care of itself! One day’s trouble is enough for one day.

Amplified
33 But seek (aim at and strive after) first of all His kingdom and His righteousness (His way of doing and being right), and then all these things taken together will be given you besides.
34 So do not worry or be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will have worries and anxieties of its own. Sufficient for each day is its own trouble.

KJV
33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
34 Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

No comments: