Sunday, October 16, 2011

come

Matthew 10:28 Then Jesus said, "Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest.29 Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls.30 For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light."

At the beginning of January, 2008, my friend, Aaron Barth, came to staff prayer one morning. He mentioned to me that he'd been studying what is called "The Sermon on the Mount", which happens in Matthew 5-7. He said he'd been reading the section in chapter 6 about the lilies of the field & the birds of the air & how God provides.

Then he said something that changed my life - he said something like, "But ya know, you don't have to read all of that because Jesus sums it all up at the beginning when He says, 'Don't worry about your life' ".

Ever since, that statement has resonated in me. I can't tell you how many times I've heard God whisper "don't worry about your life." In view of the crazy life I've been living since the beginning of 2008, I know that is Aaron hadn't said that, & I hadn't absorbed it, I'd now be even nuttier than the Mad Hatter in Alice in Wonderland!



I think if Aaron read this passage in Matthew 11 to us right now, I betcha he'd say something like, "ya know, you don't have to read the whole thing because Jesus said it all in those first 3 words - 'Come to Me' ".



Thanks, Aaron, for the way you've taught me to boil things down to the essentials.

No comments: