Friday, October 7, 2011

trusting

Psalm 52:8 I am like an olive tree thriving in the house of God.
      I trust in God's unfailing love forever & ever.
9 I will praise You forever, O God, for what You have done.
      I will wait for Your mercies in the presence of Your people.


I've always been a little uncomfortable with people who seem to have this kind of trusting attitude toward God that's all ooshy-gooshy, touchy/feely, & warm & fuzzy - all big, deep sighs with the closing of your eyes. It just somehow never quite felt all that real.

Didja ever know anybody like that? Ya know what I mean?

I've wondered sometimes how much of all that was real & how much of it was just a show to impress others or just something people did to get authenticated by the people around them or important to them.

(Boy howdy, that sounded harsh!)

Well, anyway, that's what I've wondered sometimes.

Particularly in the last 11+ yrs, I've learned that trusting God isn't anything like that. Sometimes it take a lot of grit in your craw. Sometimes it seems like the stupidest thing in the world to do. And sometimes it's just downright scary, or dangerous.

And to top it all off, we've got to do it most of the time with the whole world watching - well, at least it FEELS like the whole world is watching.

I especially feel like everybody's watching me right now. (No, I'm not paranoid - at least not anymore than usual ;-)

We've stuck our necks out, bought a house, moved up here to Blairsville in a flurry of faith & resplendent expectations...

...and have been at a standstill ever since.

When I read "I will wait for Your mercies in the presence of Your people." this morning, I kinda chuckled.

Boy howdy, Mr. Psalm-writer - do I know how you felt!

So, we wait, & we trust.

no ooshy-gooshy...

no touchy/feely...

no warm & fuzzy...

no big, deep sighs with the closing of our eyes.


Just trusting...

being...

waiting...

while all God's people seem to be watching.


Would I go back to believing what God has led me to be & do but trusting in myself to make it happen?

Heck no! (I sound like my Navy son, Wood ;-)


We wait, & we trust.

No comments: