Thursday, December 12, 2013

flexible

How then should we live if, like Paul, we are all things to all people?



1 Corinthians 9

19 Even though I am a free man with no master,

        I have become a slave to all people to bring many to Christ.

20 When I was with the Jews,

        I lived like a Jew to bring the Jews to Christ.

When I was with those who follow the Jewish law,

     I too lived under that law.

Even though I am not subject to the law, I did this so I could bring to Christ those who are under the law.



21 When I am with the Gentiles who do not follow the Jewish law,

        I too live apart from that law so I can bring them to Christ.

But I do not ignore the law of God;

     I obey the law of Christ.



  22 When I am with those who are weak,

          I share their weakness,

          for I want to bring the weak to Christ.


Yes, I try to find common ground with everyone, doing everything I can to save some.



23 I do everything to spread the Good News and share in its blessings.



  24 Don't you realize that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize?

          So run to win!

25 All athletes are disciplined in their training.

        They do it to win a prize that will fade away,

        but we do it for an eternal prize.

26 So I run with purpose in every step.

I am not just shadowboxing.

27 I discipline my body like an athlete,

        training it to do what it should.

Otherwise, I fear that after preaching to others I myself might be disqualified.

No comments: