Wednesday, June 2, 2010

being & doing

Psalm 108:13 With God's help we will do mighty things, for He will trample down our foes.

John 9:4
(Jesus is the one talking here) All of us must quickly carry out the tasks assigned us by the One who sent Me, because there is so little time left before the night falls & all work comes to an end.

In the Psalm 108 verse, the operative words there are "with God's help."

I won't go into how many times in my life I've done what I thought was what God wanted me to do, but did it under my own steam, not His.

I like it a whole lot better now that I'm relying more on His strength than my own.

In the John verse, there's 2 things:
1) the use of the word, "quickly" doesn't mean like in a rush - what I think it means is to not lolly-gag around - iow, be about the things He has for us to be about.
2) "assigned us" just reiterates the fact that God actually did dream a BIG life for us, which includes things that are designated for us to be & do.
This isn't busy work for God. It's all a part of His overarching plan.
And there no such thing as a small part in this plan. We may think it's a small part, but God doesn't think so. (Remind me of this in the days ahead ;-)


Ya know, I was an idiot for waiting until I was 52 1/2 before I started getting up & reading the Bible every day.

No comments: