Friday, June 25, 2010

makin' it happen

Psalm 127:1 Unless the LORD builds a house,
the work of the builders is wasted.
Unless the L
ORD
protects a city,
guarding it with sentries will do no good.
2 It is useless for you to work so hard
from early morning until late at night,
anxiously working for food to eat;
for God gives rest to his loved ones.


For decades, as a music minister, I made things happen.

I could go crazy wondering how much during that 30 years I made things happen, rather than let God make things happen.

These days, particularly as Lynn & I walk into what we think is our "next", it would be so very, very easy for me to start making things happen.

I think making things happen rather than letting God make things happen basically comes from a lack of trust in Him. I guess I felt like I needed to help the process along.

Besides, God helps those who help themselves - right?!

(btw, that saying is NOT in the Bible!)

Anyway, I guess this morning, the Lord poked me (not in the eye) & reminded me that unless I let Him be in charge of moving into our next, & the playing out of it once we're in it, well, it's a waste of time.

The King James translation says they labor "in vain".

Here's what The Message paraphrases it to be...
"If God doesn't build the house, the builders only build shacks."

So...

Don't do like I've done way too many times - making things happen, "helping" God out - rather than waiting for God's timing, & God's plan to unfold.

This ain't something I've read in a book, or something I've seen - it's something I'm livin' right now. It's unfolding for me, just like it coud be unfolding for you.

Let's walk in it together & let each other know how it all comes out.

No comments: