Friday, May 2, 2014

food & harvest

John 4

31 Meanwhile, the disciples were urging Jesus, "Rabbi, eat something."

  32 But Jesus replied, "I have a kind of food you know nothing about."

  33 "Did someone bring him food while we were gone?" the disciples asked each other.

  34 Then Jesus explained:

     "My nourishment comes from doing the will of God, who sent me, and from finishing his work.

     35 You know the saying, 'Four months between planting and harvest.'

     But I say, wake up and look around. The fields are already ripe for harvest.


     36 The harvesters are paid good wages,

         and the fruit they harvest is people brought to eternal life.

     What joy awaits both the planter and the harvester alike!

     37 You know the saying, 'One plants and another harvests.'

     And it's true.


38 I sent you to harvest where you didn't plant; others had already done the work, and now you will get to gather the harvest."



I bet the disciples were puzzled a lot.

They never knew what to expect from Jesus.

It seems He had this habit of saying something obtuse.

The disciples were trying to get him to eat & he tells them he has food they don't know about.

iow, He's talking about something completely different.

I bet the disciples sometimes felt like they had to always be alert & listening bc Jesus had the habit of saying something incredibly profound in the unlikeliest moments!



I don't know why I felt drawn to share this section of John 4. Just felt like I should.

Don't know who this is for.

I hope it speaks to whatever it is that's going on in your heart & life.

No comments: