Monday, May 26, 2014

judging

Matthew 7

1 "Do not judge others,

        and you will not be judged.


2 For you will be treated as you treat others.

The standard you use in judging is the standard by which you will be judged.


  3 "And why worry about a speck in your friend's eye when you have a log in your own?

4 How can you think of saying to your friend,

     'Let me help you get rid of that speck in your eye,'

     when you can't see past the log in your own eye?

5 Hypocrite! First get rid of the log in your own eye;

     then you will see well enough to deal with the speck in your friend's eye.



We do a lot of judging.

Yeah, we do.

We look at other people & form opinions about them

     from little to know knowledge of who & what they are,

     what they've been through,

     or what their lives have been or are now like.


Last time I checked, it would seem our job is to LOVE people.

To care ABOUT people.

To care FOR people.

And let the judging be done by Someone who is infinitely better qualified.


I think an important thing that Jesus mentions in this passage is that if we go around judging people, we in turn will be judged, not only by Him, but by the people around us.

It supports that old adage,"what does around, comes around".

iow, if we are quick to point out what's wrong with people, those around us will not hesitate to point out the sinful stuff going on in our own lives.

And I don't know about you, but I don't think I want my sins highlighted by those around me. I figure they're obvious enough without someone showcasing them to the world!


What then should our behavior be?

You tell me, in the comments below.

No comments: