Monday, January 19, 2015

carried

If you're around my age, or older, maybe this will encourage you.

I don't remember how I stumbled upon this passage, but it's so powerful, while at the same time, intimate.

When the word, "carry" is, its context feels like God is carrying us like an infant, or a small child.

It's from Isaiah - in many instances, hardly a warm & fuzzy book.

I've come up with different translations - it's interesting how they are similar, & how they are different.

I've use BibleGateway.com to find all these translations & paraphrases - it's a good website if you're not familiar with it.



Isaiah 46:3b-4


It is you who have been carried from before you were born.

        Indeed, when you were still in the womb, I was taking care of you.

And when you are old, I will still be there, carrying you.

        When your limbs grow tired, your eyes are weak,

    And your hair a silvery gray, I will carry you as I always have.

        I will carry you and save you. (The Voice)



I created you & have cared for you since before you were born.

I will be your God throughout your lifetime;

     until your hair is grey with age.

I made you, & I will care for you.

I will carry you along & save you. (NLT, 1st edition)



I’ve been carrying you on my back

    from the day you were born,

And I’ll keep on carrying you when you’re old.

    I’ll be there, bearing you when you’re old and gray.

I’ve done it and will keep on doing it,

    carrying you on my back, saving you. (The Message)




I have carried you since you left your mother’s womb.

I carried you when you were born,

     and I will still be carrying you when you are old.

Your hair will turn gray,

     and I will still carry you.

I made you,

     and I will carry you to safety. (ERV)



Listen to Me, you whom I have upheld since your birth,
    and have carried since you were born.
Even to your old age and gray hairs

    I am he who will sustain you.
I have made you and I will carry you;

    I will sustain you and I will rescue you.
(NIV)

No comments: