Sunday, May 3, 2015

last minute words

Here in John 14, Jesus is talking to his disciples the night before He was crucified.

Who among us, if we knew we were going to die the next day, wouldn't try to tell the people closest to us all kinds of things?

Needless to say, Jesus was trying to jam as much truth in those last hours.

He kept trying to tell them things that would keep them during the dark hours right before, during, & especially after his death.

These are some of the verses I've underlined in my Bible.

But the whole chapter has a lot to say about a lot of things.

Read these words for what they are - some of the last words Jesus said right before His death...

     ...think of the portent they housed for Jesus to a group of men He knew & loved so much.



John 14

1
 "Don't let your hearts be troubled.

     Trust in God,

     and trust also in me.


  6 Jesus told him (Thomas), "I am the way, the truth, and the life.

       No one can come to the Father except through me.

       7
 If you had really known me, you would know who my Father is.

       From now on, you do know him and have seen him!"


9b Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father!


12 "I tell you the truth, anyone who believes in me will do the same works I have done,

        and even greater works,

        because I am going to be with the Father.

13 You can ask for anything in my name,

        and I will do it,

        so that the Son can bring glory to the Father.

14 Yes, ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it!


15 "If you love me,

        obey my commandments.

16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor,

      who will never leave you.

17a He is the Holy Spirit,

       who leads into all truth.

18 No, I will not abandon you;

      I will come to you.

21 Those who accept my commandments and obey them are the ones who love me.

        And because they love me, my Father will love them.

        And I will love them and reveal myself to each of them."
 
23 "All who love me will do what I say.

     My Father will love them,

     and we will come and make our home with each of them.

     24 Anyone who doesn't love me will not obey me.

     And remember, my words are not my own.

     What I am telling you is from the Father who sent me.

26 But when the Father sends the Advocate as my representative—that is, the Holy Spirit—he will teach you everything and will remind you of everything I have told you.


27b ...the peace I give isn't like the peace the world gives.

     So don't be troubled or afraid.

No comments: