Saturday, May 23, 2015

read the Bible, without fail, every day

Hebrews 4

12
 For the word of God is alive and powerful.

It is sharper than the sharpest two-edged sword,

     cutting between soul and spirit,

     between joint and marrow.

It exposes our innermost thoughts and desires.

13 Nothing in all creation is hidden from God.

Everything is naked and exposed before his eyes,

     and he is the one to whom we are accountable.


Read the Bible, without fail, every day.

All I know is all I know.

Since January, 2003, I've gotten up early every morning to read the Bible & listen out for anything God may want to say to me.

He ain't shut up yet.

I read something on FB recently that hit the nail on the head...

     "People who complain about never hearing from God but yet don't read the Bible are like someone complaining they never get any text messages but yet don't turn the cellphone on!


Soon after I started reading the Bible every day, I realized that couldn't NOT get up & read every day.

     Not because I'd gotten all that holy,

     but because it had become the lynchpin in my ability to function.


I will warn you about this...

     if you read the Bible everyday without fail...

     God will mess with you...

     and He will mess with you in the very areas of your life you don't want Him to mess with.

Right off the bat, God addressed the absolutely most pivotal issues in my life & wouldn't let up until I let Him heal them.

And He continues to address issues in my life.

I have been & done things I NEVER would have allowed God to morph me in to

     or followed His lead into doing

     if I hadn't been ready the Bible every day.

And I simply would have crashed & burned at the things life has thrown at me.


Reading the Bible every day, without fail, opens us up to the personhood of the God of the universes,

     who He is,

     how He works,

     how He feels about us,

     who He wants us to be,

     & what He wants us to do.

If you think about it, it is the single most stupid thing in the world to NOT read the Bible every day, without fail.


Don't talk to me about not having time.

Make time.

We're talking about connecting to the God of the universes on a daily basis...

     not some larger than life grandfather,

     or some celestial killjoy.

The Bible connects us with the One who is high, holy, all knowing, all powerful, all everything.


And as a result, here's what we end up with...


Hebrews 4

14
 So then, since we have a great High Priest who has entered heaven,

     Jesus the Son of God,

   let us hold firmly to what we believe.

15 This High Priest of ours understands our weaknesses,

       for he faced all of the same testings we do,

       yet he did not sin.


16 So let us come boldly to the throne of our gracious God.

There we will receive his mercy,

     and we will find grace to help us when we need it most.

No comments: