Saturday, August 22, 2015

4 words

I can't seem to get away from this verse...

Who needs to hear this besides me?



Matthew 11:28


Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest.(NLT)


Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. (NIV)


Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. (ESV)


Come to me all of you who are tired from the heavy burden you have been forced to carry. I will give you rest. (ERV)


Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy-laden and overburdened, and I will cause you to rest. I will ease and relieve and refresh your souls. (Amplified)


Come to me, all of you who are weary and over-burdened, and I will give you rest! (J B Phillips)


Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. (The Message)


Come to Me, all who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. (The Voice)



No matter who translates or paraphrases that verse, they all have something in common, something that is always the same, words that always state something in exactly the same way.

They all have the same 4 words in them.


Words that Jesus says to each & every one of us...


3 words of those words are...


"Come to me..."


Jesus, who is God, says to each of us to come to Him.

He wants us to come to Him.

No disclaimers, no prerequisites, no judgements, no requirements, no anything.

No matter what's going on in our lives, He says the same thing.

He just says come here to me.


And what will happen if we do?

He quantifies nothing.

He just says if we come to Him we will be given something - no if's, and's, or but's.

Jesus says He will give us something - He'll give us the 4th word that each translation uses...


"rest"


Dictionary.com defines "rest" this way...

1. the refreshing quiet or repose of sleep: a good night's rest.
2. refreshing ease or inactivity after exertion or labor: to allow an hour for rest.
3. relief or freedom, especially from anything that wearies, troubles, or disturbs.
4. a period or interval of inactivity, repose, solitude, or tranquility: to go away for a rest.
5. mental or spiritual calm; tranquility.


How many of us need some rest in our lives?


It is pivotal that we understand that no matter what our situation, Jesus says to come to Him, & if we do, we will find the rest we long for.


I don't know how He'll do it.

I don't know how it will impact our individual situation.

All I know is what He said.

We either believe Him, or we don't.

So let's come to Him, & see what happens.

No comments: