Saturday, August 1, 2015

lots of stuff

Read the Bible every day, without fail.


Yeah, I say that a lot. Would I say something like that as much as I do if I didn't completely believe it?

Some days, I read, & there's lots of good stuff, but nothing really stands out. One those days it's like God's just reiterating His truth.

And then there's days when there seems to be a lot that stands out.

Here's what stood out today (there hasn't been this much stand out in a while)...



You didn't choose Me.

I chose you.

I appointed you to go & produce fruit that will last,

so that the Father will give you whatever you as for, using My name

John 15:16


So Jesus chose me before I chose Him? He reached out to me first, before I reached out to Him?

And He wants me to be & do things, to go where he wants me to go?

And the results of this being, doing,  going will have results that will last?

Is that what He's saying here?



...give your bodies to God.

Let them be a living & holy sacrifice;

     the kind He will accept.

When you think about what he has done for you,

     is this too much to ask?

Romans 12:1


So we give our bodies, in reality our lives, to God, to use for whatever - we are at His complete disposal?

So whatever He commands us to be, or do, or go to is all part & parcel of the basic relationship that we have?

He calls the shots, we obey?



Don't copy the behavior & customs of the world,

but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think.

Then you will know what God wants you to do,

     & you will know how good & pleasing His will really is.

Romans 12:2


So, we don't measure our lives by the yardstick of what the friends, family, or cultural evangelical church norms thinks we should be?

We have to be so open to what God directs, that we allow Him to really change the way we think, feel & operate?

And if we allow Him to change us & the way we think, or expectations, our hope, our dreams, & what we think is the norm, we will understand  a little bit more the overarching reasons for His will for each of us?



Be honest in your estimate of yourselves,

     measuring your value by how much faith God has given you.

Romans 12:3


So, even though we may not think we're all that stupendous,

        we can have a better idea how we're doing in this thing call "following Jesus"

        if we honestly look at how much we step out in faith & be, do, or go the ways He directs?



Be glad for all God is planning for you.

Be patient in trouble,

     & always be prayerful.

Romans 12:12


So, we're supposed to be okay with whatever He's got going for us, even when it doesn't make sense?

And when things get tough, we're just to keep on keeping on?

And keep on communicating with Him through it all?



Don't let evil get the best of you,

     but conquer evil by doing good.

Romans 12:21


I wonder what our world would be like if Christ followers REALLY put this into practice?

No comments: