Tuesday, January 12, 2010

hard hearts

In Hebrews 3, in verse 8 & then again in verse 15, the author says "Don't harden your hearts..."

Somewhere, back in the mists of the last 7 years, I previously had underlined those words when reading this chapter. I can't remember.

Today, those were the words that stood out to me.

In both cases, it says the same thing...

In verse 6b, it starts by saying, "We are God's household, if we keep up our courage & remain confident in our hope in Christ. 7 That is why the Holy Spirit says, 'Today you just listen to His voice. 8 Don't harden your hearts as Israel did when they rebelled...' "

Then starting again over in verse 12...

12 Be careful then, dear brothers and sisters. Make sure that your own hearts are not evil and unbelieving, turning you away from the living God.13 You must warn each other every day, while it is still "today," so that none of you will be deceived by sin and hardened against God.14 For if we are faithful to the end, trusting God just as firmly as when we first believed, we will share in all that belongs to Christ.15 Remember what it says:

"Today when you hear his voice,
don't harden your hearts
as Israel did when they rebelled."

I wonder this morning, as I wrote in my journal, if these verses stood out because my heart is hardening, & I wonder what exactly it is that it's hardening toward?

Or is it just a warning that if I don't keep my heart tender in some areas of my life, I can get hard hearted, like I used to be?

TD Jakes says, "Nothing just happens."

I wonder what this "don't harden your heart" thing is all about?

Does this say anything to any of y'all?

No comments: