Saturday, January 30, 2010

worrying

Jesus said in Matthew 6:25, "Don't worry about your life..." (NIV)

It located in that section of the "Sermon on the Mount" that talks about the liles of the field & the birds of the air & how God clothes them & takes care of them.

It was Aaron Barth back at the beginning of 2008 that told me one day at staff prayer, "you don't have to read the rest of it - it's all summed up in that 1st phrase - don't worry about your life."

Hundreds of times since then God's whispered to me, "don't worry about your life."

Over the past 2 years, I've come to a place a surrender that I didn't know possible. It's not a high, holy, & dramatic thing. It's a simple "whatever" & then REALLY trusting God as He handles my life.

All of us are desperately trying to make our lives happen. I've learned in the last 2 years to trust God at a gut level. I don't know what's ahead for me. I DO know Who's out ahead of me, preparing the way. And I DO know Who's gonna sustain me through the "whatever" that comes.

This isn't some kind of thing I just decided to do. Over these past 2 years as I walked toward establishing a presence in downtown Macon, & then as we started being & doing it at the beginning of 2009, when I've been fretting or worrying, or griping to God about something, "what if"ing, He's just say, "don't worry about your life."

How did I live before?

All I can tell you is that this way of living is infinitely better than whatever it was I was doing before. It DOES take a trust & a simple letting go & accepting whatever He leads me toward. But then, we ARE talking about trusting the God of the universes here.

Do it - let go - say whatever - trust - don't worry

Today would be a great day to start

No comments: