Monday, January 25, 2010

what's holding me together

James 3:17 But the wisdom from above is first of all pure. It is also peace loving, gentle at all times, and willing to yield to others. It is full of mercy and good deeds. It shows no favoritism and is always sincere.

Beth said something yesterday in her sermon at SportsTowne that struck me.

She said something along the line of "Once you've become a Christ follower, it's no longer all about you."

It's about others - loving God & loving people.

So much of contemporary Christianity is self-focused - 10 steps to a perfect life, become a better you, claim your miracle - you get the idea. Like this thing called following Jesus is something we can muster up on our own.

The longer I live I would think that it's enormously obvious that I ain't the one who making my life happen & that I'm held together by the grace of God & the power of the Holy Spirit.

No comments: