Tuesday, January 26, 2010

what I got today

There are some people in my life who think I'm crazy bc I get up so early every morning. (well, to be honest, some people think I'm crazy regardless of when I get up! ;-)

Anyway, I can't imagine NOT getting up. I mean, the God of the universes chooses to speak to me - ME! - through His Word EACH DAY! And people wonder why I get up?!!!

Here's some of what I got just this morning...

Proverbs 11:17 Your own soul is nourished when you are kind, but you destroy yourself when you are cruel.

24 It is possible to give freely & become more wealthy, but those who are stingy will lose everything.

25 The generous prosper & are satisfied; those who refresh others will be refreshed themselves.

James 4:2b ...the reason you don't have what you want is because you don't ask God for it. 3 And even when you do ask, you don't get it bc your whole motive is wrong - you want only what will give you pleasure.

5b ...the Holy Spirit, whom God has placed within us, jealously longs for us to be faithful. 6a He gives us more & more strength to stand against evil...

7 humble yourselves before God. Resist the devil, & he will flee from you. 8 Draw close to God, & God will draw close to you.


And that was just what I got this morning!

Ya know, I'm aware that probably some of you who read this blog, or are around me very much, may get kinda tired of me talking about reading the Bible every day.

The smartest thing I've probably ever done in my life was to start getting up each day & reading the Bible & listening out for what He has to say to me.

The dumbest thing I've ever done is wait until I was 52 to do it!!! (I'm 59 now)

Don't be as dumb as I was!!!

I cannot adequately explain the rich backlog of scripture that now sustains my life. I can't tell what an incredible glimpse I've had into the mind & personhood of God.

I've found THE well of life - why in the world would I NOT want to drink from it?!

Why do I beat this drum all the time?

Because I KNOW what it will mean for you & do for your life. I know because I'm livin' it, & I'm seeing how many of you have started to change too who have started reading every day.

So, you don't know where to start?

Read the Gospel of John (New Testament). Just 1 chapter a day. Takes about 10-15 minutes.

Read the chapters sequentially - don't jump around.

Me & Billy Graham read 1 psalm every day. Read 1 chapter each day in Psalms (Old Testament). Psalms is pretty much right in the middle of your Bible. Read them sequentially.

Then, after reading John, maybe read on in the New Testament, books like 1 & 2 Corinthians, then Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians. (Those last 4 are right next to each other)

One chapter a day. Underline stuff that strikes you.

Now, I wanna caution you about something...

If you read the Bible, God's gonna MESS with you.

Just a thought, I'm your friend.


No comments: